[OpenIndiana-discuss] 2x Xeon XS8600

Harry Putnam reader at newsguy.com
Fri Jul 18 22:32:37 UTC 2014

"Alex Smith (K4RNT)" <shadowhunter at gmail.com> writes:

> SATA disks can run on a SAS controller no problem - they are backwards
> compatible, however SAS disks will NOT work on a SATA only controller.
>
> The blue colored SATA socket is port 0, probably for the boot volume. I
> can't see from the angle of the photo, but I bet the white colored sockets
> are for SAS. Are there any SFF-8087 connectors on the mainboard, by chance?

Googling SFF-8087 I find more than one shape of plug, so, not sure
what they look like.  Are those just the plugs used to connect SATA
discs?  The bigger of the 2 plugs required for each sata hdd. If so,
there are 1 each on all discs now connected (4) and several free on the
electrical harness.

> With the LSI HBA, if it requires it, just make each individual disk a RAID
> 0 volume. That's how I did it with MegaRAID.

Err, you left me in the ditch a ways back.  Are you saying if I have
to do something with LSI HBA and I set discs to RAID 0, then oi will
just see non-raid discs and I can just set things up as if each disc
was not raided?  Also, is the setting you mention done in OI?

Can we start a little further back please: Is there something on this
machines hardware that will give me problems in setting up mirrored
whole disks for vpools once OI is installed?

I am posting a very detailed report on the hardware and software using
the current (windows 7) OS and a tool called Aida64 that pulls all
relevant info.  It generates a 2+ mb html file but I can post it on my
web pages so not to overload this message.

It also includes certain performance tests and lots of other junk.

Some of the hawkeyes here will no doubt be able to make some sense of
it.

If anyone is willing to look thru that lengthy report... I guess I'll
post it now.

zeus.jtan.com/~reader/vu1/Aida64_rpt-140718.html

(Absolutely piles of information).

Further, if anyone is interested enough, I've posted some more images
that are stepped back compared to the first two.  Stepped back far enough
to see the whole motherboard.

I had poor lighting and so the flash glare makes them a little hard to
see, but I find if I blow up the image in whatever viewer I'm
using... the flash glare becomes negligible

Even without any special handling the images are fairly decent.

Maybe some of you will recognize what all is going on in there.