[OpenIndiana-discuss] 2x Xeon XS8600

Timothy Coalson tsc5yc at mst.edu
Sun Jul 20 03:57:36 UTC 2014

On Sat, Jul 19, 2014 at 4:03 PM, Harry Putnam <reader at newsguy.com> wrote:

> Timothy Coalson <tsc5yc at mst.edu> writes:
>
> > Those pics make me wonder where you are going to put all those hard
> drives
> > (and if duct tape will be involved).  I see only 2 spots meant for them
> > that are empty.
>
> Sorry to badger at you about this stuff...
>
> Does this kind of SAS drive (hp-507616-b21-hard-drive-2tb-7200rpm)
> shown at the URL below fit into a different kind of holder than those
> sata drives on my machine?
>

> http://harddrives.nanakonadu.com/hp-507616-b21-hard-drive-2tb-7200rpm-sas-600-serial-attached-scsi-3-5-inch-internal/
>
> And is it likely I could run these with no problem?

I've never bought drives with a pre-attached bracket like that (assuming
the pictures are accurate), which are intended for hotswap bays in some
system, but I would expect them to be a standard SAS drive screwed into a
bracket.  Standard SAS drives have the same screw hole placement as SATA,
so you are fine there, but a SAS drive's connector is slightly different,
and won't accept a SATA cable, due to a filled-in gap (that has a second
data connection on the flip side):

http://www.serialstoragewire.org/images/articles/it24fig1.jpg

https://developers.seagate.com/download/attachments/1769518/Pinout%20Locations.jpg?version=1&modificationDate=1381516991000&api=v2

Most people use SAS in hotswap bays built for them, and therefore don't
have this problem.  You'll need a special cable or adapter to use them this
way - it would probably be better to get SATA drives (consumer or
enterprise, depending on your tastes), as they will work on a SAS
controller.  As for horror stories about SATA/SAS mix, they generally
involve a SAS expander (mainly used to connect to lots of disks without
lots of controller cards) with SATA disks behind it, so in your case it
doesn't apply.