[OpenIndiana-discuss] 2x Xeon XS8600

Harry Putnam reader at newsguy.com
Sun Jul 20 05:16:11 UTC 2014

Timothy Coalson <tsc5yc at mst.edu> writes:

[...]

>> http://harddrives.nanakonadu.com/hp-507616-b21-hard-drive-2tb-7200rpm-sas-600-serial-attached-scsi-3-5-inch-internal/
>>
>> And is it likely I could run these with no problem?
>>

> I've never bought drives with a pre-attached bracket like that (assuming
> the pictures are accurate), which are intended for hotswap bays in some
> system, but I would expect them to be a standard SAS drive screwed into a
> bracket.  Standard SAS drives have the same screw hole placement as SATA,
> so you are fine there, but a SAS drive's connector is slightly different,
> and won't accept a SATA cable, due to a filled-in gap (that has a second
> data connection on the flip side):
>
> http://www.serialstoragewire.org/images/articles/it24fig1.jpg

[...]

"Alex Smith (K4RNT)" <shadowhunter at gmail.com> writes:

> You can remove the drive from the bracket and insert it into the host
> internally. The brackets are intended for use in hot-swap drive bays,
> usually found in servers (rackmounts primarily, but some deskside as well).
>
> However, the SAS connector is a single connector that you would have to get
> an adapter cable for use in a non-hotswap configuration. Here's an example
> of one:
>
> http://www.ebay.com/itm/7-Pin-SATA-Serial-ATA-to-29-Pin-SAS-Connector-4-Pin-Power-Cable-Adapter-New-/111409680629?pt=US_Drive_Cables_dapters&hash=item19f088d0f5
>
> SATA drives work on a SAS controller, but SAS drives will not work on a
> SATA only controller.

[...]

Thanks for excellent input once again.  Just thought I'd ask.

I'll be sticking to the sata drives that I at least know a modicum
about.

I've attempted a bootup from both the server iso and Live CD desktop
DVD iso.  Hit what looks like a fairly serious snag in both cases.
In either iso, it wants to drop into maintenance mode part way thru
boot.  Asking for a username and passwd or control -d.

Using control + d results in a message saying:

  (see /lib/svc/share/README for more information)
  Console login service[s] cannot run

And then returns the prompt about dropping into maintenance mode, user
name or control-d.... and around we go.

The same baloney in either ISO.

I've started a new thread :
   Subject: No boot from iso on HP xw8600

Please check it out if you still have the energy to follow my troubles.