[OpenIndiana-discuss] Cram more drives into an HP xw8600

Harry Putnam reader at newsguy.com
Thu Jul 24 20:50:46 UTC 2014

Harry Putnam <reader at newsguy.com> writes:

[...]

Lots of good input here.

Can anyone tell me if it is better to have a cage with backplane.

If backplane is just some raid rigamorole... probably useless for this

But would a general sata backplane be any advantage?

Far as I know this server should handle 8 hdd alright since I've been
told that the 8 SAS ports can serve as sata ... that should give me a
total capability of 12 sata ports.

I guess I would assume the power unit is up to that task... can anyone
comment on that?