[OpenIndiana-discuss] Cram more drives into an HP xw8600

Philip Robar philip.robar at gmail.com
Wed Jul 23 20:17:28 UTC 2014

The tray less cages that Bill and I mentioned can be a little pricy ($100
+/-) so be aware that there are less expensive x in y options, both tray
and tray less, that don't have backplanes* that the drives plug into, i.e.
they are just bays that house the drives closer together and include a fan
to keep them cool, and you run data and power cables directly to each drive.

For instance:

Norco 5 x 3.5" (trayless) HD cage with cooling fan
Dimensions: W x H x D: 7.1 inch x 4.1 inch x 5.75 inch
2 cages for $27 with shipping at Amazon: http://amzn.to/1tBbQhJ

There are several similarly priced alternatives shown on the Amazon page.

In between these two options is something like this Rosewill 4 in 3 cage
for $45. The lower price is most likely due to its all
plastic construction: http://amzn.to/1pH75AC

Phil

* Though tray less w/o a backplane doesn't strike me as particularly useful.