[OpenIndiana-discuss] Cram more drives into an HP xw8600

Philip Robar philip.robar at gmail.com
Thu Jul 24 21:24:22 UTC 2014

On Thu, Jul 24, 2014 at 4:50 PM, Harry Putnam <reader at newsguy.com> wrote:

> Can anyone tell me if it is better to have a cage with backplane.
> If backplane is just some raid rigamorole... probably useless for this
> But would a general sata backplane be any advantage?

For personal use it's mostly a matter of convenience. If you're not going
to be changing drives on a regular basis and/or you don't need the
continuous uptime that hot swapping gives you then I'd say save the money.

Personally, I want one of the tray less x in y bays just because I think
that they look cool. (I lust for this case, but am too cheap to replace the
used server I recently purchased on eBay for a great price with a new
mini-ITX motherboard, CPU, ECC memory and the case:
http://www.u-nas.com/cases.html)

I guess I would assume the power unit is up to that task... can anyone
> comment on that?

There are web apps that will help you figure this out. Try searching on
"power supply calculator."

Phil