[OpenIndiana-discuss] Cram more drives into an HP xw8600

Harry Putnam reader at newsguy.com
Fri Jul 25 00:28:43 UTC 2014

Philip Robar <philip.robar at gmail.com> writes:

First, thank you sir for your repeated good input.

> Personally, I want one of the tray less x in y bays just because I think
> that they look cool. (I lust for this case, but am too cheap to replace the
> used server I recently purchased on eBay for a great price with a new
> mini-ITX motherboard, CPU, ECC memory and the case:
> http://www.u-nas.com/cases.html)

Not sure I really get it about that nifty looking case... does it have
its own OS, or would your workstation os be running it?

May I ask how much your ebay purchase cost you?  I probably shouldn't
but can't help but wonder how badly I got beat up.

I bought the HP xw8600 with 2x Xeon (5470) cpus, 3.33 Ghz, ecc memory and 32
GB of it.

I paid $775.  The case and all the rest are in really superb shape and
it does seem to be a workhorse and powerhouse.

So, was I robbed?