[OpenIndiana-discuss] Boot hang on Supermicro X10SLM-F

Heiko L. h.lehmann at hs-lausitz.de
Fri Jul 25 05:50:14 UTC 2014

> I have a boot problem on a SuperMicro MB X10SLM-F with oi_151a9.
> If I powerof the system with 'init 5' and then poweron again via the Power Button the boot hangs or stops anywhere.
> A boot with -v shows last line:
>
> pseudo-device: pool0
> pool0 is /pseudo/pool at 0
>
> If I reset then via Button or Smash 'reset system1/pwrmgtsvc1' than the system boots without any problems. The next line after
> pool0 is than
>
> pseudo-device: fssnap0
> fssnap0 is /pseudo/fssnap at 0
>
> Interesting is also last shows an immediate 'system down' after 'system boot' which is definitly earlier then I reset the
> system:
>
> reboot system down Thu Jul 24 08:00
> reboot system boot Thu Jul 24 07:59
>
> Has anybody an idea what is cause this behavior?

possible different clocks

1. compare hwclock osclock/ntp TZ (read below)
2. compare dmesg with syslog (post more lines)
3. try: "halt", waitanyminutes, than boot
4. check disk badblocks

regards Heiko

If you system make a timejump read this memo:
-----------
120703.prob.sol.xvm.clock

$ date
Tuesday, July  3, 2012 05:15:11 AM CEST
$  ntpq -p
     remote           refid      st t when poll reach   delay   offset  jitter
 sirius          130.133.1.10     2 u   39   64    7    0.385  7201857 1313.35
 leo             193.174.73.85    3 u   36   64    7    0.288  7201859 1315.05
$ rtc
Europe/Berlin
# date
Tuesday, July  3, 2012 05:45:53 AM CEST
# date 07030745
Tuesday, July  3, 2012 07:45:00 AM CEST
# date
Tuesday, July  3, 2012 05:45:01 AM CEST

  -> timejump...

- cfg:
$ grep ^zone /etc/rtc_config
zone_info=Europe/Berlin
zone_lag=-3600

- The solution:
  Dom0's real time (hardware) clock has to be set to UTC!  [1]

## script fix TZ
yourtimeserver="changeit"
rtc
f=/etc/rtc_config
cp -p $f $f.old
rtc -z UTC
svcadm disable ntp; ntpdate $yourtimeserver; sleep 3;svcadm enable ntp;sleep 3
ntpq -p

[1] http://southbrain.com/south/2009/09/rtc-sun-xvm-wrong-timezone-off.html
  rtc! Sun xVM: Wrong timezone offset in PV DomU?
  Dom0's real time (hardware) clock has to be set to UTC!

[2] http://www.mail-archive.com/xen-discuss@opensolaris.org/msg03175.html
  Re: [xen-discuss] Is OpenSolaris dom0 passing local time as UTC to Linux domU's?