[OpenIndiana-discuss] problem adding drives HP xw8600

Harry Putnam reader at newsguy.com
Thu Jul 31 01:46:56 UTC 2014

Harry Putnam <reader at newsguy.com> writes:

[...]

> ,----
> |   SATA Emulation—Sets the SATA emulation mode with the following options:
> |
> |    RAID + AHCI–both the RAID and AHCI OPROMs execute. This emulation
> |    mode is the default and offers the best performance and most
> |    functionality.
> |
> |    Separate IDE Controller–offers standard SATA supports (four ports
> |    only).
> |
> |    Combined IDE Controller–makes the SATA controller look like an IDE
> |    controller and offers best IDE compatibility (two ports only).
> `----
>
> I've been running on the middle setting, since someone posted a note
> from oracle saying that was the best to use.
>
> I tried the bottom setting `Combined IDE' and the drives were still
> invisible.
>
> I tried RAID + AHCI and the machine will not boot at all.
>
> Before I keep pounding away at all the possible parmutations with 13
> ports and 3 possible options.  Please if there is anyone here that
> knows how I can use those SAS ports as SATA ... please chime in.
>
> Anyone with a good idea based on experience with similar
> hardware... please  respond.  Any input will be avidly received
>
> -------       -------       ---=---       -------       -------
>
> Right after posting this message ... I'm going to try using the two
> RED sata ports... but as I recall, someone here has already mentioned
> they had not be able to find a way to use those.

Attaching drives to the two red sata ports under either of the last 2
options above causing a red light blinking, Beeping, and no POST.

So, ahh, err.  I guess that is not viable..

Attaching sata drives to the 2 left most SAS ports under either of the last
2 options above, ends with the message that there is 'Either a disk error or no OS is
found' (Paraphrased... sorry failed to write it down). So again that
does not seem viable...

Any help please?