[OpenIndiana-discuss] problem adding drives HP xw8600

Timothy Coalson tsc5yc at mst.edu
Thu Jul 31 02:50:35 UTC 2014

On Wed, Jul 30, 2014 at 8:46 PM, Harry Putnam <reader at newsguy.com> wrote:

> Harry Putnam <reader at newsguy.com> writes:
>
> [...]
>
> > ,----
> > |   SATA Emulation—Sets the SATA emulation mode with the following
> > |
> > |    RAID + AHCI–both the RAID and AHCI OPROMs execute. This emulation
> > |    mode is the default and offers the best performance and most
> > |    functionality.
> > |
> > |    Separate IDE Controller–offers standard SATA supports (four ports
> > |    only).
> > |
> > |    Combined IDE Controller–makes the SATA controller look like an IDE
> > |    controller and offers best IDE compatibility (two ports only).
> > `----
> >
> > I've been running on the middle setting, since someone posted a note
> > from oracle saying that was the best to use.
> >
> > I tried the bottom setting `Combined IDE' and the drives were still
> > invisible.
> >
> > I tried RAID + AHCI and the machine will not boot at all.
> >
> > Before I keep pounding away at all the possible parmutations with 13
> > ports and 3 possible options.  Please if there is anyone here that
> > knows how I can use those SAS ports as SATA ... please chime in.
> >
> > Anyone with a good idea based on experience with similar
> > hardware... please  respond.  Any input will be avidly received
> >
> > -------       -------       ---=---       -------       -------
> >
> > Right after posting this message ... I'm going to try using the two
> > RED sata ports... but as I recall, someone here has already mentioned
> > they had not be able to find a way to use those.
>
> Attaching drives to the two red sata ports under either of the last 2
> options above causing a red light blinking, Beeping, and no POST.
>
> So, ahh, err.  I guess that is not viable..
>
> Attaching sata drives to the 2 left most SAS ports under either of the last
> 2 options above, ends with the message that there is 'Either a disk error
> or no OS is
> found' (Paraphrased... sorry failed to write it down). So again that
> does not seem viable...
>
> Any help please?

A shot in the dark: try not using the gray SAS port, but only low-numbered
(if you can figure out which those are) SAS ports - I'm thinking back to
that AIDA64 output in windows showing 4 SAS ports, rather than 8.  Someone
else commented earlier that the gray SAS port was set as a default boot
device, so if the disk on it isn't bootable, you might get that error if it
tries SAS boot before SATA.

You could also try having the boot drive plugged into the gray SAS port -
if it boots off of it (without anything plugged into the blue SATA port),
and the BIOS doesn't have satisfactory options to control boot devices (if
you can't boot from a black SATA port), it might be where you want the
second drive of a mirrored rpool.

Tim