[OpenIndiana-discuss] Root access to home directories

david boutcher davidboutcher at me.com
Tue Jun 3 17:56:01 UTC 2014

Thank you. I'm a bit of a novice with Solaris but from what I understand that would make sense to use the mount command.

To explain the symptoms and what led up to the failure...

I have open Indiana as an os replicated across 2 500 gb drives.

A zfs pool for storage which holds my media and a virtual machine, made up of 3 1tb drives and a spare.

Virtual box is on the os disk but it's vms are on that separate pool.

Sometimes, virtual box catches me out and installs a new/cloned machine onto the os drives

The day of the failure, everything slowed down. I tried deleting content from the media pool via vmb. I thought this was working but it all came to a grinding halt.

Then, the screen saver of the host reported error message and I was eventually completely unable to log in. Sadly I don't remember the errors.

Eventually I had to give into a hard reboot.

Upon reboot it would only go into maintenance mode. The boot process reported something about not being able to make a boot copy due to no hd space or similar.

Could the deletion of files from the separate media pool have spilled over to the operating system causing it to crash?

The deletion of some poorly placed vbox files free a lot of space when I was eventually able to boot into it. I knkw they shouldn't have been there but seems odd it should suddenly run out of room

I hope that provides a little more detail.