[OpenIndiana-discuss] smart command transport

Eric D. Mudama edmudama at bounceswoosh.org
Wed Jun 11 22:48:39 UTC 2014

On Wed, Jun 11 at 13:47, jason matthews wrote:
> intel has done something completely stupid. they have changed the
> default sector size on the dc s3700 products from 512 bytes to 4k in
> the latest firmware. IMHO, they should have added the 4k feature but
> left the legacy 512b size as the default.

I just checked, my S3700 with 5DV10270 firmware reports 0x6003 in word 106.

bit 15 is clear (required)
bit 14 is set (required)

bit 13 is set indicating the device has multiple logical (512B)
sectors per physical sector on the NAND

bits 3..0 = 3, indicating 2^3 = 8 logical sectors per physical, thus,
the physical sector size is 4KB.

It should still work just fine with 512B IO since the logical sector
size didn't change, however, this is the "proper" way to report that a
file system *should* use 4k alignment if possible.

--eric

--
Eric D. Mudama
edmudama at bounceswoosh.org