[OpenIndiana-discuss] smart command transport

jason matthews jason at broken.net
Thu Jun 12 03:14:27 UTC 2014

On Jun 11, 2014, at 3:48 PM, Eric D. Mudama <edmudama at bounceswoosh.org> wrote:

> It should still work just fine with 512B IO since the logical sector
> size didn't change, however, this is the "proper" way to report that a
> file system *should* use 4k alignment if possible.

Perhaps it should, but then ZFS is doing the wrong thing by refusing to attach. Under this line of thinking, it should fall back to 512 bytes and attach — but it doesn’t.

root at dba001:~# zpool attach data c3t50015178F365937Ed0  c3t55CD2E404B63FBCAd0
cannot attach c3t55CD2E404B63FBCAd0 to c3t50015178F365937Ed0: devices have different sector alignment

root at dba001:~# smartctl -A -d sat,0 --identify=w /dev/rdsk/c3t55CD2E404B63FBCAd0  |grep 106
 106      -     0x6003   Physical sector size / logical sector size
 106     15:14     0x1   Must be set to 0x1
 106     13          1   Multiple logical sectors per physical sector
 106      3:0      0x3   2^X logical sectors per physical sector

On firmware 265,  word 106 is not set.

i buy enough gear that i can deal directly with channel. dealing with channel some times has the added benefits of getting internal intel documentation on crap like this. i have a power point that outlines what to do, but i don’t know how to do it, yet ;-)

In thirty six hours I jump on a plane for europe. i would like to have some spares setup before i go. this little wrinkle is holding things up.

This is firmware rev 270 and defaults to 4k physical size. ZFS picks up on this and refuses to attempt to mix 4k drives with 512b drives. Let’s just assume this is all true and let’s not ponder what should be. Does anyone have an idea how to set word 106 to 0x4000 on a live system?

I have a ticket open with intel. they are supposed to get back to me friday with a utility to flip these bits but it apparently runs on any OS except solaris.

j.