[OpenIndiana-discuss] SMF service that should not shutdown with the OS

Jim Klimov jimklimov at cos.ru
Sat Jun 14 22:09:09 UTC 2014

Hi,

an interesting puzzle came up: how can one define an SMF service
so that it would ignore the system-wide shutdown and would only
(perhaps ungracefully) die off when the kernel/zone goes down?

For a practical use-case, consider an SSH or Telnet service that
is used for remote management of the box. The shutdown procedure
may stall for a number of reasons. An admin wants to intervene
for investigation or to force a ruder reboot/halt, but has no
way to do so because the remote shell server has already died...
uncool :)

As an example, I have this somewhat implemented with an SVR4
initscript for an emergency hatch (VNC server) with only a start
symlink and no stop symlink. I wonder if this can be solved with
a pure SMF service - either some options/attributes to it, or
by some dependency contraption? ;)

Thanks,
Jim