[OpenIndiana-discuss] SMF service that should not shutdown with the OS

Oscar del Rio delrio at mie.utoronto.ca
Sun Jun 15 12:42:52 UTC 2014

On 14/06/2014 6:09 PM, Jim Klimov wrote:
> an interesting puzzle came up: how can one define an SMF service
> so that it would ignore the system-wide shutdown and would only
> (perhaps ungracefully) die off when the kernel/zone goes down?
>
> As an example, I have this somewhat implemented with an SVR4
> initscript for an emergency hatch (VNC server) with only a start
> symlink and no stop symlink. I wonder if this can be solved with
> a pure SMF service - either some options/attributes to it, or
> by some dependency contraption? ;)

Perhaps a service without a "stop" method?

http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E26502_01/html/E28980/firstboot-2.html

<!--
     The exec attribute below can be changed to a command that SMF
     should execute to stop the service.  See smf_method(5) for more
     details.
-->
     <exec_method timeout_seconds="60" type="method" name="stop"
        exec=":true"/>