[OpenIndiana-discuss] Persistant ZFS set ID

Michelle Knight michelle at msknight.com
Wed Jun 18 18:14:50 UTC 2014

Hi Folks,

I changed a drive set and was using an old one as a backup, so I put
the 1.5tb drive in and created a single ZFS drive called "backup".

It wouldn't import, even after reboot, update, etc...

mich at jaguar:~# zpool import backup
Assertion failed: rn->rn_nozpool == B_FALSE,
file ../common/libzfs_import.c, line 1080, function zpool_open_func
Abort (core dumped)

So I removed the drive, put it in a Linux machine, destroyed everything
I could find, wrote out a new partition table, put it back in the
server and asked for a ZFS import...

mich at jaguar:~# zpool import
   pool: tank
     id: 13988636425947326543
  state: ONLINE
 status: The pool is formatted using a legacy on-disk version.
 action: The pool can be imported using its name or numeric identifier,
though some features will not be available without an explicit 'zpool
upgrade'. config:

        tank        ONLINE
          c3t4d0p0  ONLINE

So I shut the server down, removed the legitimate "tank" and tried to
then bring the server back up in order to mount this old tank and
destroy it ...

mich at jaguar:~# zpool import
Assertion failed: rn->rn_nozpool == B_FALSE,
file ../common/libzfs_import.c, line 1080, function zpool_open_func
Abort (core dumped) mich at jaguar:~# zpool import
   pool: tank
     id: 13988636425947326543
  state: ONLINE
 status: The pool is formatted using a legacy on-disk version.
 action: The pool can be imported using its name or numeric identifier,
though some features will not be available without an explicit 'zpool
upgrade'. config:

        tank        ONLINE
          c3t4d0p0  ONLINE
mich at jaguar:~# zfs destroy tank
cannot open 'tank': dataset does not exist
mich at jaguar:~# zpool import tank
Assertion failed: rn->rn_nozpool == B_FALSE,
        file ../common/libzfs_import.c, line 1080, function
        zpool_open_func Abort (core dumped) mich at jaguar:~# init 6

Eventually, I got rid of tank and recreated the drive as "backup",
changing the mount point to /mnt/backup, then exporting it, and then
when I try to import it again ...

Assertion failed: rn->rn_nozpool == B_FALSE,
file ../common/libzfs_import.c, line 1080, function zpool_open_func
Abort (core dumped)

...and there was a "backup" directory left under /mnt/

I'm getting this assertion failed all over again, and I just can't
import backup. I just don't get it.  I wonder if the change of mount
point caused the problem?