[OpenIndiana-discuss] Persistant ZFS set ID

Reginald Beardsley pulaskite at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 18 18:40:40 UTC 2014

I'm not sure if it's related, but I had for a long time a phantom pool that would get listed by "zfs import".  i eventually figured out that there was  an old ZFS vdev label  left over from a previous disk layout.  " dd if=/dev/zero"  at the start and end of the unused slices cured that once I realized what was going on.  You might want to read the ZFS on disk format description.

https://maczfs.googlecode.com/files/ZFSOnDiskFormat.pdf

 In my case I had been trying various slice alignments to resolve messages about the pool alignment with a 4k sector disk.

Reg