[OpenIndiana-discuss] Re-installing an OI vm after OS crash

Jim Klimov jimklimov at cos.ru
Tue Mar 18 23:17:05 UTC 2014

On 2014-03-18 21:24, Harry Putnam wrote:
> 2) Can I just replace the new ~/.VirtualBox with the old to regain
>     whatever info was there about my OI install?
>
> Note that the currently installed version of VirtualBox is at least
> one version newer than the one in force when OI was last used.
>
> 3) Is it just a matter of unpacking the previous 'vb' hierarchy on a
> partition, overwriting ~/.VirtualBox with the old one... and away we
> go? Or is it more complicated?

It may be more complicated: the config file layout and format has
changed a few times in the past, so it is possible that your new
VirtualBox software does not use the old format anymore. Likely
it can migrate/import the old configs, but I've never checked.

It seems more fruitful to recreate the VM definitions and have
those newly defined VM's use your old HDD images.

Make a copy of one or two and experiment first, before you'd ruin
your only copies, however ;)

//Jim