[OpenIndiana-discuss] Fwd: Re: /hipster: again conflicting packages [orc library]

Alexander Pyhalov alp at rsu.ru
Wed Mar 19 18:44:35 UTC 2014

Hello, Tim.

Tim Mooney писал 19.03.2014 22:19:
> In regard to: Re: [OpenIndiana-discuss] Fwd: Re: /hipster: again...:
>
>> And I have another task to do: I'm trying to bring to oi-userland all
>> packaged dependent on runtime/perl-510 dependencies, so that we can
>> switch them to perl 5.16, switch illumos-gate to perl 5.16, drop perl
>> 5.10 and add perl 5.18.
>
> This is something I am very interested in seeing.  What can I do to
> help?

This is a list of packages which depend on perl-510:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1j4ArZv4O59GaOjKBGJJvPAtXo_G6z3P7YsNBCvXVZ5Q/edit?usp=sharing

(you can get it by something like
pkg search -r 'depend::*runtime/perl-510*'|awk ' { print $4;}' |cut -d @
-f 1 |sort|uniq
or similar command)

1) Each package which is absent from oi-userland (
http://github.com/OpenIndiana/oi-userland ) should be added there,
possibly modified to use perl 5.16 and tested (package dependencies also
should be checked).
For JDS packages it sometimes mean that they should be splitted in
several smaller packages (according to natural boundaries).
2) We should ask Andrew Stormont to RTI his patches for building
illumos-gate with GCC-compiled perl
(https://www.illumos.org/issues/3900). IIRC, his patches are ready for
integration, but still are not in the gate.
3) It seems we also need
https://github.com/omniti-labs/illumos-omnios/commit/1fbd874aefb20e0fb1a082adf774f8b9a4b6
and
https://github.com/omniti-labs/illumos-omnios/commit/8319fe45f6aba36064e22011f48d1fc24868ed68
patches
4) We have to modify perl 5.10 and 5.16 so that /usr/perl5/{bin,man,pod}
links point to perl 5.16.
5) create runtime-perl-516-module-sun-solaris.mf manifest with manifest
for Perl 5.16, recompile illumos-gate with perl5.16 (add to illumos.sh
export PERL_VERSIONS=”5.10 5.16”)
6) Add perl 5.18 and modules for perl 5.18.

Strictly speaking, steps 1, 2-5 and 6 are not closely related, I mean,
you can do it in any order. But I'm not eager to support 3 perl versions
in oi-userland simultaneously.

> When I started looking at what would be involved in getting 5.18 into
> OI userland, the first thing I did was find all the perl scripts that
> are installed as part of other OI packages, and then run them both with
> the default 5.10 and with a local copy of 5.18 (installed via RPM), to
> see if there were differences in warnings.  There were a few, but
> nothing
> major.
>
> If you decide you want some help, don't hesitate to contact me.
>
> Tim
---