[OpenIndiana-discuss] Fwd: Re: /hipster: again conflicting packages [orc library]

Tim Mooney Tim.Mooney at ndsu.edu
Wed Mar 19 18:19:36 UTC 2014

In regard to: Re: [OpenIndiana-discuss] Fwd: Re: /hipster: again...:

> And I have another task to do: I'm trying to bring to oi-userland all
> packaged dependent on runtime/perl-510 dependencies, so that we can
> switch them to perl 5.16, switch illumos-gate to perl 5.16, drop perl
> 5.10 and add perl 5.18.

This is something I am very interested in seeing.  What can I do to
help?

I've never packaged software for OI using an IPS package, but I have made
hundreds of packages over the years for multiple platforms, including
Solaris 8, Solaris 10, and now OI, in RPM format.  I've read through
some IPS documentation and it seems more cumbersome than RPM packaging,
but not insurmountable.

When I started looking at what would be involved in getting 5.18 into
OI userland, the first thing I did was find all the perl scripts that
are installed as part of other OI packages, and then run them both with
the default 5.10 and with a local copy of 5.18 (installed via RPM), to
see if there were differences in warnings.  There were a few, but nothing
major.

If you decide you want some help, don't hesitate to contact me.

Tim
Room 242-J6, Quentin Burdick Building                  701-231-8541 (Fax)