[OpenIndiana-discuss] How to let find 'see' .zfs directories

Harry Putnam reader at newsguy.com
Thu Mar 20 15:17:17 UTC 2014

Peter Tribble <peter.tribble at gmail.com> writes:

> On Thu, Mar 20, 2014 at 3:02 AM, Harry Putnam <reader at newsguy.com> wrote:
>
>> Probably some obvious thing going on here but I'm not see how find all
>> '.zfs' directories under a zfs system hierarchy.
>>

> That's really the same as the list of filesystems, so
>
> zfs list -t filesystem -r tank/foo
>

>> Just running something like
>>
>>   cd /rmh/   (that is 'p2/rmh' in zpool talk)
>>
>>   find . -type d -name 'snapshot'
>>

> That's a really bad idea. What if there are a billion files under
> there, could take a while. That sort of logic also gets easily
> confused by anybody who can create directory names that
> match your pattern.

Point taken, and thanks

>> No hits whatsoever, when I know there are 4-5 under there.
>>
>> I wanted to setup some homeboy snapshot destroys on the basis of mving
>> to all .zfs/snapshot directories and using ls -t, sed, zfs snapshot
>> destroy to
>> get rid of snaps beyond the most recent 8 in the directory
>>
>> So is something like 'zfs -H -t snapshot -o name' the only way to
>> ferret out actual addresses of the snaps?
>>
>> I'd sooner use basic oldschool unix tools if possible
>>

> The zfs command exists and provides its output for a reason -
> it's the most efficient and reliable source of that information, so
> best take advantage of it.

Also thanks, and point taken.

I'm going to tinker with the 'time-slide' since it appears to be
running.

However, I'm not understanding quite how the time-slider works I
guess.

When I activate it from menu System/Admin/time-slider, Get logged in
as root and then reset the percentage of disk usage allowed from 80%
down to 50% It appears not to have any effect.... that is, if I reopen
time-slider it is back at %80 ... my setting gets trashed, I guess.