[OpenIndiana-discuss] How to let find 'see' .zfs directories

Jim Klimov jimklimov at cos.ru
Thu Mar 20 16:17:06 UTC 2014

On 2014-03-20 14:25, Peter Tribble wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 20, 2014 at 3:02 AM, Harry Putnam <reader at newsguy.com> wrote:
>> I'd sooner use basic oldschool unix tools if possible
> The zfs command exists and provides its output for a reason -
> it's the most efficient and reliable source of that information, so
> best take advantage of it.

Indeed it is, at least for local storage pools. The "oldschool
tools" have an advantage where it is not guaranteed that the
storage is local or may be served over NFS (i.e. quite a use
case for vboxsvc where I used this option to snapshot the data
directories associated with the VM, or "zfs snapshot" arbitrary
datasets provided by the VM service admin). In a way this is
also why I prefer the file-based storage compared to zvols -
ease of migration, backup, rsync-diffs, whatever; especially
when multiple hosts running under same or different OSes are
involved...

HTH,
//Jim