[OpenIndiana-discuss] Using large (3-4 TB) USB disks for backups

Reginald Beardsley pulaskite at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 27 23:25:00 UTC 2014

 *Toshiba* is certainly allowed (cf. line 4480 of sd.c).  It's  pretty natural for a user to think they were getting shell semantics which they are not.   * has to be the first and last character but I don't think that's the issue here.  The behavior is the same if the string is "Toshiba External USB 3.0".

>From my notes:

# echo ::sd_state | mdb -k | egrep '(^un|_blocksize)'
un 3: ffffff0148254cc0
    un_sys_blocksize = 0x200
    un_tgt_blocksize = 0x1000
    un_phy_blocksize = 0x200
    un_f_tgt_blocksize_is_valid = 0x1

Rebooted system

# echo ::sd_state | mdb -k | egrep '(^un|_blocksize)'
un 3: ffffff0140e28d00
    un_sys_blocksize = 0x1000
    un_tgt_blocksize = 0x1000
    un_phy_blocksize = 0x200
    un_f_tgt_blocksize_is_valid = 0x1

Notice that un_sys_blocksize gor reset, but NOT un_phy_blocksize.  un_phy_blocksize is being used to set ashift.  I *think* what's happening is that some ioctl operations are failing forcing the code to default to ashift=9.

My 3 TB disk is giving me 26-27 MB/s write speed, so it's working rather well despite the misalignment.  But I'm just storing zballs created by "zfs send | gzip"

Have Fun!
Reg