[OpenIndiana-discuss] Moving PG_DATA to nonstandard location?

Bryan N Iotti ironsides.medvet at runbox.com
Fri May 2 22:37:16 UTC 2014

Hi all,

I'm experimenting with Postgres on OI 151a9 and I ran into a curious issue.

I'm using the version from the OI pkg repo, 9.2

It works fine as long as I don't try to move the PG_DATA directory somewhere else.

Basically, I'd like to move it to another ZFS filesystem to see the effects of logbias=latency and take advantage of more IOPS on that pool.

I create a zfs filesystem called tank/postgres.
I change the ownership of the directory to postgres:postgres.
As the postgres user I run initdb with that dir as target.
I change the SMF property for postgresql_92/data to that dir.
I can start the DB manually as postgres, but via SMF it will kill the service as 'restarting too quickly'.
I did a svcadm disable/refresh/enable, tried a reboot... nothing. As soon as I change that dir it freaks out and I can't start the service.

Any pointers on that?

Also, I'm using the 64 bit version, but I can't set the shared_memory config to more than 512MB or it complains that it overflows size_t, even with the default 100 connections.

The machine has 32GB of RAM and I have 18GB at least free.

What could I do to affect that limit?

Thank you,
   Bryan

--