[OpenIndiana-discuss] OpenSXCE: To live or to die

Discussion list for OpenIndiana openindiana-discuss at openindiana.org
Tue May 20 14:27:46 UTC 2014

Martin Bochnig <martin <at> martux.org> writes:
>       How to build stuff  or packages?
> As long as no sponsor helps us, maybe I never
> release ANY src.

If you wish more people getting an interest in
your project, and to make your own development
cycle much easier, i suggest you to bake and
release into public a script, which will fetch
required components, build them, and produce
the final opensxce image.
Since you're most likely merging an untouched
parts from 3rd parties into a form of distro,
this shouldn't be a problem. Or even it is,
if in case where you've heavily modified
illumos or other part, just publish the patches,
or modified tree, and let the script use them.

You're probably already noticed of people trying
to bootstrap illumos for sparc using your distro
(http://wiki.illumos.org/display/illumos/
Building+illumos-gate+under+OpenSXCE2013.05), so
why not let them to bootstrap opensxce, and attract
pips to it? (we still don't have a trasparent open
distro for it!)
An ability to see how it's built, what exact steps
were done, possibility to interfere at any stage of
this process and be sure you're not cheating them,
is what people are waiting from you.
It's also makes easy for them to make fixes and
contribute.
Remember that nobody needs a blob image produced
not by trust-worthy corporation, in an age of
open-source!