[OpenIndiana-discuss] [developer] HBA recommended except LSI and ARECA

Discussion list for OpenIndiana openindiana-discuss at openindiana.org
Mon May 5 16:27:23 UTC 2014

On Tue, May 06, 2014 at 12:10:24AM +0800, Fred Liu wrote:

> I have a 6805H in hand and illumos can not detect it. But I don't have
> experience
> porting driver in FreeBSD it has to illumos. And I do NOT want to waste my
> money.:-)
> Therefore I would like to do anything to pursue this as long as I can!

There's no reason to port a driver; we already have one.  The first step
here is to figure out whether we're even trying to attach.  Do you see
the device in the output of prtconf -D?  Is pmcs associated with it?  If
the answer to both is yes, you will need to figure out why pmcs is not
attaching; check log messages and consider standard driver-attach
debugging methods such as DTrace.  If the answer is no, then you will
need to use update_drv(1M) to add an appropriate alias; the alias should
be "pmcs" and the identity should match the PCI vendor and device ID
associated with your card.  Because I do not have one in hand, I do not
know what these are.

If you get all the way into attach and it seems like the device is
simply doing something we don't expect (i.e., that it's a qualitatively
different device than the one our driver expects due to different
firmware, configuration, etc.) then it will be time to start looking at
other OS's drivers for this card and/or engaging with PMC Engineering to
figure out what the device is doing and why.

All of this is fairly standard in debugging "device not seen" type
issues, so you should have success getting additional tips by searching
the archives; of course, the details end up being device-dependent.

Good luck!