[OpenIndiana-discuss] sendmail simple setup home lan

Discussion list for OpenIndiana openindiana-discuss at openindiana.org
Wed May 21 18:38:20 UTC 2014

Discussion list for OpenIndiana <openindiana-discuss at openindiana.org>
writes:

[...]

>> I read that your way was possible, and it is described in oracle docs
>> and elsewhere... but the way its written, it sounded to me that using
>> submit.cf only... forfeited any ability to send mail locally.
>
> Local delivery only takes place on the central server, if that's what
> you mean.  It's a benefit to have all the messages in one place.

Ahhh sorry to be such a bonehead but still not sure what you mean.

Lets say something on localhost requiring admin attention happens and
mail is sent to my user on localhost to let her know.  Are you saying
that mail will appear on the relay machine... not on the localhost?

I'm probably tangling things up that do not work together but I was
under the notion that if a fetchmail process running on localhost
reached out to a pop3 somewhere....then local sendmail becomes
involved delivering to the localhost user.  So, would the sendmail
running on localhost in your plan, see it, ignore it, deliver it
somewhere else... or what.

Or in yet another scenario... my user on localhost sends a message to
someone at a remote location.  Will any response come back to my user
on localhost?  Probably not.... eh?

>> Apparently that is not true eh?... But, is sendmail.cf just ignored
>> then or do you remove it or something?
>
> It's ignored.  You disable svc:/network/smtp:sendmail and enable
> svc:/network/sendmail-client:default .

Ahh... I see.  Thanks