[OpenIndiana-discuss] sendmail simple setup home lan

Discussion list for OpenIndiana openindiana-discuss at openindiana.org
Wed May 21 20:51:26 UTC 2014

On Wed, May 21, 2014 at 02:38:20PM -0400, Discussion list for OpenIndiana wrote:
> Discussion list for OpenIndiana <openindiana-discuss at openindiana.org>
> writes:
> >
> > Local delivery only takes place on the central server, if that's what
> > you mean.  It's a benefit to have all the messages in one place.
>
> Lets say something on localhost requiring admin attention happens and
> mail is sent to my user on localhost to let her know.  Are you saying
> that mail will appear on the relay machine... not on the localhost?

Yes, that's correct.  The clients all forward e-mail to the central
server.  Mailboxes only exist on the central server too.  This is a
benefit because you only have to look in one place for messages.

> I'm probably tangling things up that do not work together but I was
> under the notion that if a fetchmail process running on localhost
> reached out to a pop3 somewhere....then local sendmail becomes
> involved delivering to the localhost user.  So, would the sendmail
> running on localhost in your plan, see it, ignore it, deliver it
> somewhere else... or what.

With the configuration I suggested, you'd also run fetchmail on the
central server.  You could run it on a client, but the e-mail would
be forwarded to the central server anyway.

> Or in yet another scenario... my user on localhost sends a message to
> someone at a remote location.  Will any response come back to my user
> on localhost?  Probably not.... eh?

It will be delivered to the central server