[OpenIndiana-discuss] sendmail simple setup home lan

Discussion list for OpenIndiana openindiana-discuss at openindiana.org
Thu May 22 12:41:41 UTC 2014

On 22/05/2014 4:15 AM, Discussion list for OpenIndiana wrote:

> When I gave you a copy of (a cut down version of) my main.mc you'll notice
> I use "procmail" as the local mail delivery agent, this is because I have
> procmail configured to use "Maildir" format.
>
> Maildir format stores all emails in the users home directory, rather than
> in /var/mail ... it also stores the emails in separate files (a lot nicer
> for rsync, or a lot of other forms of backup)
>
> I then use "dovecot" as the IMAP server ... this then has a major reduction
> on the memory usage over the standard IMAP server, and allows for folders
> within folders and all sorts of extra goodness.

If you already have dovecot, you can use dovecot itself as local
delivery agent or LMTP. Then you can use Sieve instead of procmail for
filtering.

Something I like about using Solaris or Solaris-based OS as mail server
is that you can save a lot of space by just turning on ZFS compression,
since email messages compress well, especially with ZFS gzip compression.

Regards,
Oscar