[OpenIndiana-discuss] sendmail simple setup home lan

cpforum cpforum at orange.fr
Sat May 24 08:27:44 UTC 2014

> If you already have dovecot, you can use dovecot itself as local
> delivery agent or LMTP. Then you can use Sieve instead of procmail for
> filtering.
Yes if you choose dovecot as an IMAP server it's better to use dovecot local delivery agent.

Related conf in M4 cf file
FEATURE(`local_procmail', `/usr/local/libexec/dovecot/dovecot-lda',`/usr/local/libexec/dovecot/dovecot-lda -d $u')
MODIFY_MAILER_FLAGS(`LOCAL', `-f')
MAILER(procmail)

> Something I like about using Solaris or Solaris-based OS as mail server
> is that you can save a lot of space by just turning on ZFS compression,
> since email messages compress well, especially with ZFS gzip compression.

It's probably a good idea for mail with big files attached, but I have a doubt for small messages (file smaller than
minimal allocation block size (UFS default was 8K/1K. ZFS blocksize is probably the same order).

Deduplication would be a better solution when big messages are sent to several users. To be effective it needs to store big
attachements as separate files so that ZFS recognize duplicate. Then we need to have and improved Maildir storage scheme
able to split a mail with attachements in several files instead one.