[OpenIndiana-discuss] Bash bug issue

david allan finch david.allan at finch.org
Tue Nov 4 09:07:54 UTC 2014

On 04/11/2014 03:36, Bob Friesenhahn wrote:
> While it would be nice if Solaris software was all 64-bit, in actual
> practice I notice no difference in day to day use between systems with
> 32-bit applications and 64-bit.  Only certain memory-hungry
> applications will significantly benefit.

We spent some time investigating this 10 years back and found that for
most apps that don't require the 64bit address space that they ran
slower compiled for 64bit. 64bit file access was of some us to us but
the we stuck with 64bit compiles and I expect that until CPU cache sizes
increase a lot more there will be no gain outside the OS (and DBs etc)
for 99% of current apps.