[OpenIndiana-discuss] use cases of Sun Studio-compiled C++ libraries on OI

Alexander Pyhalov alp at rsu.ru
Fri Nov 28 08:53:44 UTC 2014

Hello.
I'd like to hear about people who now hardly depends on Sun
Studio-compiled C++ libraries AND use OpenIndiana. Do you have software
which can't be recompiled with GCC? Do you know commercial software
which depend on the libraries?

I mean the following OI packages:
  database/postgres/library/c++/libpqxx
  library/c++/glibmm
  library/c++/libxml++
  library/c++/net6
  library/c++/obby
  library/c++/sigcpp
  library/c++/stdcxx
  library/desktop/c++/cairomm
  library/desktop/c++/gtkmm
  library/desktop/c++/mm-common
  library/desktop/c++/pangomm

I'd like to drop them and replace by g++-compiled (incompatible)
versions. Who will be affected?

If there are some specific libraries of interest, we can discuss ways to
move them to alternative locations (e.g. /usr/CC/). If you need them, do
you need just binaries (*.so* files) or actually compile software using
these libraries and Sun Studio?

For example, we could just preserve the contents of these packages in
some public place or deliver some renamed packages, if it's really
needed. But I'd like to avoid the later option.

I don't speak about system/library/c++/sunpro, this one will be preserved.
--
Best regards,
Alexander Pyhalov,