[OpenIndiana-discuss] use cases of Sun Studio-compiled C++ libraries on OI

Bob Friesenhahn bfriesen at simple.dallas.tx.us
Fri Nov 28 20:32:26 UTC 2014

On Fri, 28 Nov 2014, Tim Mooney wrote:

> On a tangentially related note, does anyone know of any tests that
> compare the performance of generated code between Studio and gcc/g++?
> I haven't seen one in years, so I would be interested to know how much
> gcc has closed the performance gap with Studio?

For the large part and for C code, I would say that the difference is
small in most cases for x86-64.  I see a small lead in floating point
performance using the Studio compiler, and a small lead with integer
performance using GCC.  However, either one might come out in the lead
for any given test case.

When it comes to SPARC code, the Studio compiler is clearly in the
lead.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn