[OpenIndiana-discuss] New OI /dev release, release structure

Nikola M. minikola at gmail.com
Thu Oct 2 07:39:29 UTC 2014

On 09/28/14 04:40 PM, Bob Friesenhahn wrote:
> Hopefully some kind person with necessary knowlege and access will
> push an updated bash package which works on 151a8/9 so that servers
> based on OpenIndiana are no longer a disaster situation.
It would imply that OI servers have automatic updates turned on and that
is not exactly the case I think.

It would imply that we need reviving producing /dev releases, because
updating to Hipster and rolling-release model is not for production
ready quality, and/or not working/not caring about updating from /dev.
(Manpower, manpower manpower)

Maybe on one hand OI need a funding place where anyone wanting something
could chop in some cash so it could be spent on something important,
infrastructure, etc.

And we need SOME release structure for /dev , made of people willing to
do that,
*starting with people who last time produced /dev and under their guidance*
(and using latest updates in Hipster, that could be used, without
breaking dependencies and production process and intoducing new bugs).