[OpenIndiana-discuss] New OI /dev release, release structure

ken mays maybird1776 at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 2 19:28:45 UTC 2014

And we need SOME release structure for /dev , made of people willing to
do that,
*starting with people who last time produced /dev and under their guidance*
(and using latest updates in Hipster, that could be used, without
breaking dependencies and production process and intoducing new bugs)

For /dev, that was JT-EC and the many contributers to OI_151a that either built
consolidations or tested the distro.

If new /dev (hipster), the hopefully it gets tested as 'good enough' to replace /dev.

Really, there is mainly the testing of userland. SFE is based on backward compatibility so is tested and updates
are done on things that may not work. Are major upstream core consolidations are compiled on hipster as the base distro.

So, hipster is about as 'production-ready' as oi_151a9. If not, time to focus on providing feedback.

On Thursday, October 2, 2014 12:39 AM, Nikola M. <minikola at gmail.com> wrote:

On 09/28/14 04:40 PM, Bob Friesenhahn wrote:
> Hopefully some kind person with necessary knowlege and access will
> push an updated bash package which works on 151a8/9 so that servers
> based on OpenIndiana are no longer a disaster situation.
It would imply that OI servers have automatic updates turned on and that
is not exactly the case I think.

It would imply that we need reviving producing /dev releases, because
updating to Hipster and rolling-release model is not for production
ready quality, and/or not working/not caring about updating from /dev.
(Manpower, manpower manpower)

Maybe on one hand OI need a funding place where anyone wanting something
could chop in some cash so it could be spent on something important,
infrastructure, etc.