[OpenIndiana-discuss] New OI /dev release, release structure

Alexander Pyhalov alp at rsu.ru
Thu Oct 2 21:53:29 UTC 2014

Hello.

outsider писал 03.10.2014 01:26:
> It would also be nice to see a split between home-usage and (partial)
> professional usage.

What do you mean by "split"? We are aimed to support both server and
desktop
installations.
If you want server-focused distribution, you can look at DilOS (uses
apt-get/dpkg) or
OmniOS (uses IPS).

> For the way I use OpenIndiana I don't need a GUI, nor firefox nor
> codecs or movie players.
> I just need a good, stable and secure platform with zones and ZFS.
> And capable of being patchable to the latest available secure versions
> of BASH, SSH, SSL, JAVA and other common Unix OS belongings.

If you need just zones/ssh/bash/ssl/zfs, Hipster can suite you. At least
we
rarely break these components :) However, we are more sensitive to
illumos-gate
changes. Hipster uses upstream illumos-gate. It has its own benefits
(new fixes are
almost immediately available here) and drawbacks (for example, we expect
removing of
Sun DHCP server from illumos-gate soon, and our users will suffer from
it when it happens).
As for Java - we can't redistribute latest Oracle Java versions.
However, older one is available. Also Hipster ships OpenJDK 1.7.

> Who is now managing the code?
> Is there a way to organise a roadmap?
> What if some students are put on the project?

If we speak about /dev, it is supported by Jon Tibble.
As for /hipster, it is currently supported by Adam Stevko, Andrzjei
Szeszo, Ken Mays and me.
You can find TODO list for OI /hipster here:
http://wiki.openindiana.org/oi/TODO+list
As for students - we always welcome new developers.
If they need some advice, they can ask their questions at oi-dev ML
or in #oi-dev freenode.net IRC channel.
---