[OpenIndiana-discuss] Future of OI (was Bash Bug issue)

Dave Pooser dave-oi at pooserville.com
Thu Oct 9 15:12:49 UTC 2014

At the risk of sounding like the corporate hack I doubtless am... what's
the OI "elevator pitch" -- the 10-second explanation of why OI exists, and
why I should use it vs another Illumos variant?

NexentaStor - "ZFS storage appliances"
OmniOS - "Enterprise server, open and free, with commercial support"
SmartOS - "Cloud OS using zones, DTrace and ZFS"
OI - ???

I have a couple of OI servers because a couple of years ago that looked
like the natural path forward from OpenSolaris. Now, it's hard to see why
I should deploy a new server with OI vs OmniOS.
--
Dave Pooser
Cat-Herder-in-Chief, Pooserville.com