[OpenIndiana-discuss] Future of OI (was Bash Bug issue)

openindiana at out-side.nl openindiana at out-side.nl
Thu Oct 9 19:41:06 UTC 2014

>From my limited tunnelview:

Nexenta: closed source, no real root, no zones. IF you want storage with support this is the best option.
OmniOS: nice piece of work, but when your fingers are used to the commands of, for example, creating zones it is a disaster
SmartOS: same like OmniOS.
OI: whatever you need help for (almost) everything can be found on the internet when you search for { subject} + solaris 10. Same for the software. Stick as good as possible to the illumos sources.

Every successor of Solaris 10 takes a share of the old userbase, and this userbase is also becoming smaller since a lot switch to Linux like systems of even Windows.
Every successor tries to simplify the solaris things that were difficult to learn. Like creating zones.
At the end the successors look a little bit the same, but have differences that prevent mixing.
At some point successors drift away from the illumos kernel, disconnecting themselves from the source.

The question is what happens if at some point a real solaris /illumos security bug will be found. Which kernel will give you the best options for a cure? Will the solution be available on the successor?
And what if the successor themselves have created a security hole inside without knowing? There are very little testers for these relatively small successors.

Br,

Roelof