[OpenIndiana-discuss] is this project still active

Alexander Pyhalov alp at rsu.ru
Sat Oct 11 11:34:42 UTC 2014

Mark Stephens писал 11.10.2014 00:22:
> I am trying to decide if I should go with Omnios or OpenIndiana for my
> storage needs. So I would like to ask is this project still under
> active
> development? I do not see much activity on the website or any other
> medium
> such a twitter.

Hello.
The project is still alive. Perhaps, it's not evident, looking at our
site, but it is.
If someone wants to update it, he is welcome.
There are sufficient problems, as OI developer is a more and more
extinct kind of beast.
If you want just basic storage (i.e., fresh base and ~ Solaris 11 level
of userland software
(I mean, a bit outdated)), you can look at OI Hipster. We are trying to
deliver at least most
urgent security fixes. On other hand, illumos-gate provided packages is
rebuilt every day,
which may be not so convenient in server environment - pkg update will
always want to update all
base packages. You can try to stick to Hipster snapshots. We are going
to prepare them
once per several months. The current one is cooking now.
---