[OpenIndiana-discuss] Sendmail on oi 151_a9

Harry Putnam reader at newsguy.com
Mon Oct 13 20:53:43 UTC 2014

The Outsider <openindiana at out-side.nl> writes:

> I am curious what you want to change to sendmail?

add smarthost and authentication.  Something I've done many times on
various linux OS.  But finding that there too I'm now having trouble.
There may have been a few changes in sendmail itself since my last
thorough going foray into sendmail....  I switched to exim4 on my
debian boxes... but will admit I had a big struggle with that too.

Its become apparent long ago that the pilot(me) is what is wanting here.

I found an this documenmt (which I posted a few replies back)
  http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E37670_01/E41138/html/ch15s06.html

That seems to spell things out rather clearly.  But still no workee.
(More on that later)

> It still would suggest the use of webmin, since it will let you set
> and change 85% of the sendmail setting in 5 minutes.

I've always done sendmail by hand (with the aid of m4 of course)  The
trick here is finding what things to add to the very brief existing
sendmail.mc and of course getting the right syntax.

I've got a start going which I will post at the end.

The error that is killing me right now comes up when m4ing sendmail.mc
to sendmail.cf

The error itself:

  root # make sendmail.cf
  test ! -f sendmail.cf || /usr/bin/mv sendmail.cf sendmail.cf.prev
  /usr/ccs/bin/m4 ../m4/cf.m4 sendmail.mc > sendmail.cf

  /usr/ccs/bin/m4:sendmail.mc:31 cannot open file: No such file or directory
  include(../feature/authinfo.m4)
  make: *** [sendmail.cf] Error 1

Hard to tell what file it is having trouble finding... If I'm reading
this right, I can find out at line 31 of my sendmail.mc  which says:

  FEATURE(`authinfo',`hash /etc/mail/auth/authinfo')dnl

I created the directory and the authinfo file and as you see they are
in place:

    root # ls -l /etc/mail/auth
  total 82
  -rw------- 1 root root    66 Oct 13 11:55 authinfo
  -rw------- 1 root root 81920 Oct 13 16:15 authinfo.db

Or maybe it is referring to ` /usr/ccs/bin/m4 '  Which is in fact
absent:

   root # ls -l /usr/css/bin/m4
  ls: cannot access /usr/css/bin/m4: No such file or directory

Or maybe its referring to `include(../feature/authinfo.m4)'

I don't know what the heck it means.

A line numbered version of sendmail.mc

 1  divert(-1)
 2  #
 3  # Copyright (c) 1983 Eric P. Allman
 4  # Copyright (c) 1988, 1993
 5  #       The Regents of the University of California.  All rights reserved.
 6  #
 7  # Copyright 2009 Sun Microsystems, Inc.  All rights reserved.
 8  # Use is subject to license terms.
 9  #
10  #  This is a configuration file for SunOS 5.8 (a.k.a. Solaris 8) and later
11  #  subsidiary machines.  It has support for local and SMTP mail.  The
12  #  confFALLBACK_SMARTHOST macro is enabled, which means that messages will
13  #  be sent to that host (which is set to mailhost.$m [$m is the local domain])
14  #  if MX records are unavailable.  A short-cut rule is also defined, which
15  #  says if the recipient host is in the local domain, send to it directly
16  #  instead of the smart host.
17  #
18  #  If you want to customize this further, copy it to a name appropriate
19  #  for your environment and do the modifications there.
20  #
21
22  divert(0)dnl
23  VERSIONID(`sendmail.mc (Sun)')
24  OSTYPE(`solaris8')dnl
25  DOMAIN(`solaris-generic')dnl
26  define(`SMART_host', `[mail.messagingengine.com]')dnl
27  dnl define(`confFALLBACK_SMARTHOST', `mailhost$?m.$m$.')dnl
28  define(`PROCMAIL_MAILER_PATH',`/usr/bin/procmail')dnl
29  define(`RELAY_MAILER_ARGS', `TCP $h 587')dnl
30  define(`confAUTH_MECHANISMS', `EXTERNAL GSSAPI DIGEST-MD5 CRAM-MD5 LOGIN PLAIN')dnl
31  FEATURE(`authinfo',`hash /etc/mail/auth/authinfo')dnl
32  FEATURE(local_procmail)dnl
33  define(`confAUTH_OPTIONS', `A p y')dnl
34
35  MAILER(`local')dnl
36  MAILER(`smtp')dnl
37  MAILER(`procmail')dnl