[OpenIndiana-discuss] Sendmail on oi 151_a9

Harry Putnam reader at newsguy.com
Mon Oct 13 21:03:43 UTC 2014

Bob Friesenhahn <bfriesen at simple.dallas.tx.us> writes:

> On Mon, 13 Oct 2014, Harry Putnam wrote:
>>
>> I have yet to find much that is helpful in creating a sendmail.mc.  I
>> have not found a single example of a sendmail.mc in those docs.
>>
>> There are piles of information about how to test, what to do once you
>> have a working sendmail.mc... but precious little about actually
>> creating one.
>>
>> Apparently it was felt the reader should already know the nuts and
>> bolts of creating sendmail.cf
>
> Oracle documentation is almost the last place you would want to go to
> learn about configuring sendmail.

Thank you, yes, I agree.

> The best information available may be found on your system in the file
> /etc/mail/cf/README, which is provided by the sendmail package.

I've used that file many times to look up what one or another stanza
in a sample *.mc was supposed to do.  So, I agree.  Its good to know
about. However, in 4311 lines there is not one concrete example of a
sendmail.mc that user can take apart rearrange and etc.

It turns out on oi, oi-hipster the setup is all rigged up in
/etc/mail/cf/cf with makefiles that pull out the m4 tools for you.

You just say `make sendmail.cf' after editing sendmail.mc