[OpenIndiana-discuss] Sendmail on oi 151_a9

Gary Mills gary_mills at fastmail.fm
Wed Oct 15 19:52:09 UTC 2014

On Tue, Oct 14, 2014 at 04:49:19PM -0400, Harry Putnam wrote:

> Still not working though.  It runs up to the point where data is to be
> injected and stops... apparently auth is not working yet... here is
> the smtp output posted again for your convenience.  You've seen the
> *.mc the access and smtp output..: Can you make a guess out of it.

Here's a test I did some time ago to ensure that e-mail for external
addresses goes to my smart host for further delivery.  It doesn't
test authentication, but it does test local routing:

$ /usr/lib/sendmail -bt -C /etc/mail/sendmail.cf
ADDRESS TEST MODE (ruleset 3 NOT automatically invoked)
Enter <ruleset> <address>
canonify           input: user @ fastmail . fm
Canonify2          input: user < @ fastmail . fm >
Canonify2        returns: user < @ fastmail . fm . >
canonify         returns: user < @ fastmail . fm . >
parse              input: user < @ fastmail . fm . >
Parse0             input: user < @ fastmail . fm . >
Parse0           returns: user < @ fastmail . fm . >
ParseLocal         input: user < @ fastmail . fm . >
ParseLocal       returns: user < @ fastmail . fm . >
Parse1             input: user < @ fastmail . fm . >
MailerToTriple     input: < [ mail . messagingengine . com ] > user < @ fastmail . fm . >
MailerToTriple   returns: $# relay $@ [ mail . messagingengine . com ] $: user < @ fastmail . fm . >
Parse1           returns: $# relay $@ [ mail . messagingengine . com ] $: user < @ fastmail . fm . >
parse            returns: $# relay $@ [ mail . messagingengine . com ] $: user < @ fastmail . fm . >
> ^D

Notice that I'm specifying the sendmail executable and the config file
explicitly, so I can test alternative versions.  You can also try
other addresses to make sure they all go to the expected destination.