[OpenIndiana-discuss] Sendmail on oi 151_a9

Tim Mooney Tim.Mooney at ndsu.edu
Mon Oct 13 23:06:03 UTC 2014

In regard to: Re: [OpenIndiana-discuss] Sendmail on oi 151_a9, Harry Putnam...:

> Tim Mooney <Tim.Mooney at ndsu.edu> writes:
>
> First, thanks for the patient look at things, aside from making my
> look bad for not thinking of what in hindsight now look totally obvious
> things to do.  It was very helpful

Oh, believe me, I have plenty of "well why didn't I think of <insert
totally obvious debugging step here>" moments, so I can relate.

>> The easy thing to do would be to remove that line (or comment it out,
>> remember for m4 it's "dnl") and then try the rebuild.  If it works,
>> then it's that line.
>
> Bingo... yup its that line.

Ok, looking at my OI151a9 box, I don't have the file

 	/etc/mail/cf/feature/authinfo.m4

That means that the authinfo FEATURE isn't part of the sendmail-related
packages I have installed.  Perhaps there's some extra package for
sendmail that would include it.  I'm still weak with "IPS", but the
Oracle "IPS one-liners" doc lead me to try

 	pkg search authinfo.m4

 	pkg search /etc/mail/cf

both of which seem to imply that there aren't any "add-on" packages that
might provide additional features that aren't included in the base
package.

I no longer have the email where you first described your config, but
did you grab this authinfo.m4 from somewhere else on the net and drop
it into place on your OI box?  If you did, can you include the contents
of that file in a response, so we can see what the macros are actually
doing?

If you didn't, then you should first verify that you do have that file.
Without it, trying to use FEATURE with that basename isn't going to work.

>> It could also be a permissions problem.  For debugging only, you could
>> try opening permissions on those files and that directory.  If that
>> "fixes" the issue, then you know that it's permission-related, and you
>> can focus on that.
>
> That one is ruled out now I guess since I set the directory 777 and
> file 666 but still had the same error.

Good.  I doubted that was it, but I know that how (and who) sendmail
runs has changed over the years, so something that's only readable
via the root user may not work in all cases.  Case in point, the
"aliases.db" has group read permission for "smmsp" group, since that's
what the submission agent (?) runs as.

Tim
Room 242-J6, Quentin Burdick Building                  701-231-8541 (Fax)