[OpenIndiana-discuss] About moving to hipster

Nikola M. minikola at gmail.com
Wed Oct 15 03:25:00 UTC 2014

On 10/13/14 05:42 PM, Harry Putnam wrote:
> Can any of you tell me how one navigates the pkgs.  In my install
> there seems to be no pkg manager.
>
> I'm familiar with the pkg cmdline but digging out specific stuff
> without the name is a bit primitive. And time consuming.

Hi Harry,
GUI packagemanager and update manager were removed from upstream Oracle
codebase and need maintaining to be included back.
Hipster pulled upstream changes and lost GUI tools this year, without
actions on fixing issue or getting to maintain it. (and it was broken in
Hipster from Hipster's day1, anyway)
Someone (aurelien larcher) posted it on Github:

https://github.com/alarcher/packagemanager

> It is just a repository with EOLed files but at least it is somewhere.

So it could be first thing to do , Getting back Packagemanager and
update manager back to working state.
But maybe even better then that, it would be better
to make connection between tested /dev releases and Hipster - in a way
you exactly needed,
and that is updating from /dev with a chance of using new /dev in the
future in line with existing ones.

Getting back update manager and Package manager is required for new /dev
anyway.
See if you can include yourself on oi-dev mailing list.