[OpenIndiana-discuss] Sendmail on oi 151_a9

Gary Mills gary_mills at fastmail.fm
Wed Oct 15 13:55:43 UTC 2014

On Tue, Oct 14, 2014 at 10:33:46PM -0500, Gary Mills wrote:

> Here's one that worked for me.  I've obscured the destination e-mail
> address and the password.  The message I'm testing was already in the
> mail queue:

The way to get a message in the mail queue without sendmail attempting
to send it on, is to shut down the server daemon.  Normally, there will
be two processes:

     UID   PID  PPID   C    STIME TTY         TIME CMD
    root 15741     1   0   Oct 02 ?           0:20 /usr/lib/sendmail -bd -q15m
   smmsp 15744     1   0   Oct 02 ?           0:01 /usr/lib/sendmail -Ac -q15m

The first of these two is the server daemon.  Just kill that one, and
send an e-mail message.  That will create files in the
/var/spool/mqueue directory.  Then you can run sendmail manually to
see a transcript of the SMTP dialogue with the remote server.