[OpenIndiana-discuss] Sendmail on oi 151_a9

Gary Mills gary_mills at fastmail.fm
Wed Oct 15 03:33:46 UTC 2014

On Tue, Oct 14, 2014 at 04:49:19PM -0400, Harry Putnam wrote:
> Gary Mills <gary_mills at fastmail.fm> writes:
>
> > You have to create the database by hand, from the file you created.
> > The /etc/mail/cf/README describes this:

The username and password for authentication have to be the same ones
that you use to connect to ftp.messagingengine.com .  In particular,
the username has to include the domain part.

> Still not working though.  It runs up to the point where data is to be
> injected and stops... apparently auth is not working yet... here is
> the smtp output posted again for your convenience.  You've seen the
> *.mc the access and smtp output..: Can you make a guess out of it.
>
> harry > reader at jtan.com... Connecting to [127.0.0.1] via relay...

It's connecting to your own SMTP server.  That's not going to work.

> 220 oih.local.lan ESMTP Sendmail 8.14.4+Sun/8.14.4; Tue, 14 Oct 2014 15:06:01 -0400 (EDT)
> 250-oih.local.lan Hello oih [127.0.0.1], pleased to meet you
> 250-ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES
> 250-PIPELINING
> 250-EXPN
> 250-VERB
> 250-8BITMIME
> 250-SIZE
> 250-DSN
> 250-ETRN
> 250-AUTH GSSAPI DIGEST-MD5 CRAM-MD5
> 250-DELIVERBY
> 250 HELP
> 250 2.0.0 Verbose mode
> 250 2.1.0 <harry at oih.local.lan>... Sender ok
> 250 2.1.5 <reader at jtan.com>... Recipient ok
> 354 Enter mail, end with "." on a line by itself

Here's one that worked for me.  I've obscured the destination e-mail
address and the password.  The message I'm testing was already in the
mail queue:

# /usr/lib/sendmail -q -v
Running /var/spool/mqueue/pBEMOL4K013733 (sequence 1 of 1)
<mills at dest.domain.ca>... Connecting to mail.messagingengine.com. port 587 via relay...
220 mail.messagingengine.com ESMTP . No UCE permitted.
>>> EHLO ati.local
250-mail.messagingengine.com
250-PIPELINING
250-SIZE 71000000
250-STARTTLS
250-AUTH LOGIN PLAIN
250-AUTH=LOGIN PLAIN
250-ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES
250 8BITMIME
>>> STARTTLS
220 2.0.0 Ready to start TLS
>>> EHLO ati.local
250-mail.messagingengine.com
250-PIPELINING
250-SIZE 71000000
250-AUTH LOGIN PLAIN
250-AUTH=LOGIN PLAIN
250-ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES
250 8BITMIME
>>> AUTH PLAIN XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX==
235 2.7.0 Authentication successful
>>> MAIL From:<mills at ati.local> SIZE=585
250 2.1.0 Ok
>>> RCPT To:<mills at dest.domain.ca>
>>> DATA
250 2.1.5 Ok
354 End data with <CR><LF>.<CR><LF>
>>> .
250 2.0.0 Ok: queued as 034998E01DB
<mills at dest.domain.ca>... Sent (Ok: queued as 034998E01DB)
Closing connection to mail.messagingengine.com.
>>> QUIT
221 2.0.0 Bye