[OpenIndiana-discuss] sendmail on oi 151_a9

Gary Mills gary_mills at fastmail.fm
Wed Oct 15 16:05:19 UTC 2014

On Wed, Oct 15, 2014 at 07:04:31AM -0700, Claus Assmann wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 15, 2014, Gary Mills wrote:
>
> > The way to get a message in the mail queue without sendmail attempting
> > to send it on, is to shut down the server daemon.  Normally, there will
>
> Hmm, really?

I must have missed something, but on illumos there are two SMF
sendmail services:

    online         Oct_02   svc:/network/smtp:sendmail
    online         Oct_02   svc:/network/sendmail-client:default

with two corresponding daemons.  I suggested disabling only the
first service.

> > The first of these two is the server daemon.  Just kill that one, and
> > send an e-mail message.  That will create files in the
> > /var/spool/mqueue directory.  Then you can run sendmail manually to
>
> Who writes the mail into mqueue?

I used mailx for my test.  It invokes sendmail to write to the
client queue.  The client daemon then reads that queue and writes
to the server queue.  The files will stay there because the server
daemon is not running.