[OpenIndiana-discuss] ZFS allowed characters (valid characters)

Edward Ned Harvey (openindiana) openindiana at nedharvey.com
Sun Sep 14 13:36:41 UTC 2014

Is ZFS using Unicode or ASCII?  Or something else?

Are there disallowed characters?  '\0' or @ or '/' or anything else?  I know these characters generally would be *difficult* to use just because of limitations of your application environment (for example, bash will always parse the '/' as a directory delimiter, but at least in hfs+, that character isn't actually forbidden by the filesystem.)  So I'm not asking which characters would be *practically* difficult to use, I'm asking which characters are *valid* according to the filesystem itself.