[OpenIndiana-discuss] VNC connections to Hipster

Dave Koelmeyer dave.koelmeyer at davekoelmeyer.co.nz
Wed Sep 24 13:36:12 UTC 2014

On 13/09/2014 3:19 p.m., Dave Koelmeyer wrote:

> On 13/09/14 02:15, Alexander Pyhalov wrote:
>> On 08/25/2014 23:14, Alexander Pyhalov wrote:
>>> Hi.

>>> I see the same. However, I remember that after rebuilding vino 2 months
>>> ago this worked
>>> as expected... It seems to be a bug, but some debugging is necessary to
>>> find out what's
>>> wrong.
>>
>> Hello.
>> I've tested VNC connection to current OI /hipster installation. This
>> worked. It works for me in two ways.
>> 1) If I enable svc:/application/x11/xvnc-inetd:default, I can connect
>> to gdm login screen.
>>
>> 2) If I enable remote desktop access  with "Desktop sharing" AND
>> disable svc:/application/x11/xvnc-inetd:default I can connect to user
>> session.
>>
>> Please, check how it works for you.
>>

> Hi Alexander,
>
> Thanks very much for this, and apologies for not getting back to
> you/the list with more detail sooner (I have every intention, but just
> rather a lot on at the moment). I'll give this a try and see.

Hi All,

Bruce's suggestions indeed point to this being some interaction
specifically with Remmina (v 0.9.99.1 on the clients in question). Using
SSVNC on the same client (pulled down from USC on Ubuntu 14.04), or
RealVNC Viewer 5.2.0 on a Windows client, I can connect to the same
Hipster host as expected without any additional configuration. Disabling
encryption in Remmina doesn't change the behaviour. So – not an
insurmountable problem at all given alternate VNC clients, time
permitting I'll do some further digging.

Cheers,
Dave

--
Dave Koelmeyer