[OpenIndiana-discuss] ZFS allowed characters (valid characters)

Laurent Blume laurent+oi at elanor.org
Mon Sep 15 12:30:17 UTC 2014

Le 2014/09/14 17:26 +0200, Jim Klimov a écrit:
> while i don't have a precise answer, i think that the set of valid
> characters in dataset names is different from those in the POSIX
> filesystems - i.e. '@' and '%' are reserved dataset separators (real
> and receiving-in-progress snapshots) while valid in filenames.
>
> We were taught in school that only '\0' and '/' are invalid in posix
> fs object names, being the end of string and directory separator
> accordingly. I am not sure if this holds in the utf era as well,
> though.

For the filenames, that's the default behaviour, all except \0 and / .
However, you can restrict it only to UTF8 valid sequences with the
"utf8only" property. That can only be enabled at dataset creation time,
I tend to enable it nowadays. See also the "normalization" property.

For dataset/pool names, only a subset of ASCII is supported.

Laurent